The Office of Science was established in 2013 as a stand-alone office within the Department of the Premier and Cabinet, reflecting the importance of science and a science culture to the future development of the State.
The Office of Science plays a role in:
- Providing a long-term strategic context for the delivery of research and development programs across Western Australia.
- Supporting the coordination of research and development across Government Departments to enable efficiencies of scale and scope to be identified.
- Facilitating linkages across Government agencies and between industry, research and academic organisations at local, national and international levels.
- Encouraging and facilitating co-investment from the private sector, State and Commonwealth Government and other national funding bodies.
- Coordinating Western Australia's involvement in the Square Kilometre Array project.
- Supporting the Premier as Minister for Science.
- Supporting the Chief Scientist of Western Australia.
State’s best scientists celebrated at the Premier's Science Awards
Premier and Science Minister Colin Barnett congratulated the winners of the 2016 Premier’s Science Awards who were announced at an awards ceremony on 18 August.
Conservation scientist Professor Kingsley Dixon was announced as the Scientist of the Year. Other winners were Dr Scott Draper and Mr Christopher Brennan-Jones, both from the University of Western Australia, and Curtin University's Fireballs in the Sky.
Professor Ian Ritchie was announced as the 2016 inductee to the WA Science Hall of Fame for his dedication to science and his championing of a practical, business-focused approach to science in the State.
For more information visit the Premier's Science Awards page of this website or the Premier's media statement.
WA Science Capability Directory
Critical to the work of the Office of Science are our stakeholders from across the priority and opportunity areas of the Science Statement for WA. Download the new WA Science Capability Directory - May 2016.pdf to see who they are and how they can be contacted.
Latest announcements and media statements are featured on the
News and media page on this website.