The Office of Science was established in 2013 as a stand-alone office within the Department of the Premier and Cabinet, reflecting the importance of science and a science culture to the future development of the State.
The Office of Science plays a role in:
- Providing a long-term strategic context for the delivery of research and development programs across Western Australia.
- Supporting the coordination of research and development across Government Departments to enable efficiencies of scale and scope to be identified.
- Facilitating linkages across Government agencies and between industry, research and academic organisations at local, national and international levels.
- Encouraging and facilitating co-investment from the private sector, State and Commonwealth Government and other national funding bodies.
- Coordinating Western Australia's involvement in the Square Kilometre Array project.
- Supporting the Premier as Minister for Science.
- Supporting the Chief Scientist of Western Australia.
Scholarships now open for regional entrepreneurs
Applications are now open for Round 1 of the Premier's Agriculture and Aquaculture Entrepreneurship Program.
Up to $30,000 is available for regional applicants with an innovative idea that has the potential to broaden the economy and modernise the agriculture or aquaculture sector. This travel scholarship will allow participants to develop and pursue their idea through exposure to international best practice and leaders in their field. At the completion of their travel and learning experiences participants will share their knowledge and learning with industry.
For more information visit the Premier's Agriculture and Aquaculture Entrepreneurship Program page of this website.
The Program is one component of the Science and Agribusiness Connect initiative administered by the Office of Science and has been made possible by the State Government's Royalties for Regions program.
WA Science Capability Directory
Critical to the work of the Office of Science are our stakeholders from across the priority and opportunity areas of the Science Statement for WA. Download the new WA Science Capability Directory - May 2016.pdf to see who they are and how they can be contacted.
Latest announcements and media statements are featured on the
News and media page on this website.