Vision, Purpose and Values
To be well informed, collaborative and innovative in our leadership of the Western Australian public sector.
To lead the public sector in providing whole-of-Government advice and support to the Premier and Cabinet, in their service of the Western Australian community.
Every day we value...
- We respect and recognise the contribution of all colleagues.
- We work collaboratively and professionally.
- We are open to and draw on a diversity of ideas and views.
- We empower and enable others to do their best.
- We commit to personal development and on-going learning.
- We take ownership of our tasks and decisions.
- We strive to provide clear advice and support, even where there is ambiguity.
- We communicate effectively with others and consider their feedback.
- We bring a consistent approach to our work.
- We act in a transparent and ethical manner.
- We make objective decisions and are fully accountable for our actions.
- We make ourselves accessible.
Strategic Priorities and Deliverables
Supporting the Premier and Cabinet
Deliver high quality, rigorous and timely services to support the administration of Government.
- Provide impartial and timely advice on Cabinet submissions and work with other Departments and Ministerial offices to ensure Cabinet is clearly briefed and its time is effectively used on strategic priorities.
- Support the delivery of government priorities.
- Implement an innovative, agile and collaborative Cabinet Service to develop stronger engagement between public sector agencies in the Cabinet process.
Supporting a highly capable and responsive workforce
Foster an effective and responsive workforce, with the right practices and skills to lead the public sector.
- Identify opportunities through innovation and cost management to manage resources responsibly.
- Implement robust, effective and reliable governance mechanisms for the Department, aligned with best practice.
- Refine and implement improvements to the Department's Risk Management Framework to ensure ongoing effective management and responsiveness to risks.
- Develop workforce planning and management strategies that ensure the Department has a high level of strong, diverse and capable staff now and into the future.
- Increase capability and responsiveness through improved business models, processes and systems.
- Establish and implement communication and stakeholder engagement strategies with a focus on building relationships and collaborating with external and internal stakeholders.
- Implement improvements to existing service provision to Executive Government and Members of Parliament, including the Air Charter and Transport Program.
Public Sector Reform
Provide leadership and coordination of reform across the public sector to deliver better outcomes for the Western Australian community.
- Drive delivery on 'Our Priorities: Sharing Prosperity' through strengthening cross-agency collaboration and evidence-based action.
- Drive the Roadmap to Reform initiatives and report on progress.
- Support and communicate broader reform efforts across the public sector, including integration and the introduction of more effective and innovative approaches to the way Government works.
Driving Digital Transformation
Support the Minister for Innovation and ICT through delivery of the Digital Government agenda.
- Improve delivery of online services to the Western Australian community.
- Implement higher cyber security standards across Government.
- Develop policy and strategy to support a culture of data sharing.
- Build data analytics capabilities within the Western Australian public sector to underpin good policy development and better targeted service delivery.
- Support the implementation of information technology procurement reforms across the sector.
- Investigate strategies to reduce the digital divide and any digital disadvantages.
Supporting Aboriginal Economic and Social Development
Support the Minister for Aboriginal Affairs by providing leadership and advice on Aboriginal policy and delivering native title and other recognition outcomes.
- Provide timely and relevant policy advice and embed strategic frameworks that facilitate a whole-of-Government approach in engaging with Aboriginal people and communities.
- Support the Western Australian Aboriginal Advisory Council and Chair the Aboriginal Affairs Coordinating Committee.
- Model inclusive, innovative and culturally responsive public sector practices to work with Aboriginal people and communities to improve social and economic outcomes.
- Position the Department as an integral partner in the successful delivery of significant whole-of-Government projects that promote economic and social outcomes for Aboriginal people and communities.
Influencing Economic and Social Development
Provide policy advice, support and leadership on strategic, complex and whole-of-Government matters and deliver on Government's economic and social priorities.
- Support the development of sustainable industries and jobs State wide, while also ensuring high quality services are available in our regional population.
- Lead and support the delivery of the Government's social policy election commitments and strategic priorities.
- Establish practical working relationships with peak bodies and non-government organisations.
Delivering Key Infrastructure and Major Projects
Achieve better outcomes for Western Australia in relation to the State’s infrastructure investment program, including attracting Commonwealth investment.
- Provide coordination, oversight and drive collaboration across government on Western Australia's infrastructure and development priorities, including METRONET.
- Facilitate the establishment of a more strategic, long term approach to infrastructure planning and prioritisation to ensure investment in the right projects, at the right time.
Working with the Australian Government
Strategically engage with State agencies, non-government stakeholders and other jurisdictions to advocate for the State's interests and advise the Premier, Cabinet and Senior Officials on Federal-State relations.
- Lead State Government advocacy to maximize the outcomes for Western Australia from our relationship with the Australian Government.
- Drive sector collaboration on Council of Australian Governments National reforms and National Partnership Agreements.
- Work cooperatively with the Australian Government on counter terrorism and security to enhance State prevention of, preparedness for, and recovery from terrorism and significant emergencies.
These priorities and deliverables will be achieved by working collaboratively with all public sector agencies and other key stakeholders.
- Satisfaction level of Premier and Members of Parliament.
- Community and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Efficient and effective use of resources allocated to Government Policy Management (whole-of-Government, Aboriginal Affairs and ICT).
- Staff satisfaction.
- Efficiency by which administration and support is provided to each Ministerial and Parliamentary Electorate Office.
- Digital services meet or exceed agreed and published service levels.
Department of the Premier and Cabinet
Dumas House, 2 Havelock Street, West Perth
telephone | 08 6552 5000