Sign In

Our History

Text Size a a a Print Print this page

A brief history of the Department of the Premier and Cabinet

The Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPC) has undergone considerable change since its beginnings as the Premier's Department with a staff of five in 1898.

You can download the History of the Department of the Premier and Cabinet 1829-2012 (PDF 1MB) or read online: History of the Department of the Premier and Cabinet 1829-2012.

Photo of the Premier's Department circa 1900, and each of the Directors General from 1903 until present 

Photos

(top): The Premier's Department circa 1900.

(second row, left to right): A.C. Kessell 1903-1914; L E Shapcott 1914-1941; H. T. Stitfold 1941-1943

(third row, left to right): R. H. Doig 1945-1965; W. S. Lonnie 1965-1974; R.D. Davies 1974-1983

(fourth row, left to right): B. J. Beggs 1983-1985; D. G. Blight 1985-1995; J. E. Pritchard 1996-1997

(fifth row, left to right): M Wauchope 1997-2008; P. Conran 2008-Present

NOTE: No claim for unauthorised use, copyright or proprietary can be made for photos or stories sent to the Department of Premier and Cabinet